Wednesday 9 October 2013

3D Design

This week at college, we have been doing a 3D Design project, something I have found rather challenging as I have very little experience in creating any sort of 3 dimensional structure. Our task this week was to investigate the work of one artist or designer and create a response piece to their work. 

Kayo Saito


I found myself immediately drawn to Kayo Saito's work, especially the piece above. The delicate pieces of material combined with tiny pearls create a really pretty, elegant neckpiece. The little flower details have a natural quality about them, which is quite unusual considering they are made from polyester fabric, a very unnatural material. One element of Saito's work I am not a fan of is the colour used, as I find them too bright, however I find that I really like the dark tones of the piece pictured above, as it is quite understated and subtle.

Flora BroochesLayer Bracelets

Making a range of jewellery, from brooches to bracelets, Kayo Saito has gently and delicately, mainly working in polyester fabric and metal, has created jewellery which contrasts to the materials used as it looks as if it is mad from more natural materials. Aesthetically, it is very pleasing and unchallenging. However, in some ways it is too 'sweet' and in some regards, a little boring as a piece of jewellery. I personally wouldn't wear it, but I appreciate and enjoy the design process of the pieces.

Seed Pods Earrings

The earrings above by Kayo Saito are made from gold, and what I find particularly pleasing about this piece is the shape of the individual 'pods' that are linked together. The shape on its own is rather boring, but together it creates an interesting piece with many different levels and heights.

One of our tasks this week was to create a structure in response to the artists work, so I created this using paper and staples;



I used different coloured paper that also had different textures and created an asymmetrical cylinder-like shape, attaching them together using staples. Obviously using a material such as paper is a lot different to using metal and I am not that pleased with the outcome. However I have very little experience in the 3 dimensional area, so with practice I hope my skills will improve.

Nora Fok

Nora Fok



Noran Fok uses a a range of knitted nylons to create these beautiful, wearable constructions. These delicate compositions are intricate and gentle, and look almost like 3-dimensional drawings. 

They have similar aspects to Kayo Saito's work, the delicate flower piece resembles the above works be Nora Fok. I personally prefer Nora Fok's work, as not only does it seem more delicate, it also seems to have more imagination behind it and I find it much more interesting as a piece of art, as well as a wearable piece of jewellery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment