Wednesday 6 November 2013

Faces

Yesterday we took part in the 'Big Draw', an annual event which supports and aims to encourage everyone to draw. We were given the title 'face to face' and our final result had to be some sort of mask, using a large paper bag as a base. 

At first, we were told to use magazines to find images that could be used to make up a face, without using any facial images. This, at first, seemed rather difficult but once I started it it seemed obvious what shapes or images could be used to create a face. The two images below are studies from this task, what I like about these images is the completely random items used to make up the features (e.g. a mushroom for the nose, an upside-down mountain for a mouth). I think it really helped in developing ideas as it opens up new ideas/methods of creating a facial images without using typical imagery.   


We also had the chance to do some photograms, something I had never done before. I really enjoyed creating them and find they are quite pleasing images even though they are made in a really simple way. Keeping with the 'face to face' theme, we made faces or facial features using random objects. This method creates some rather abstract images, I decided to take elements of facial features in these studies, rather than try and create an actual feature. In the first image (below), I wanted to make a whole face (although it doesn't quite look like one!). For the second two, I focused on the shapes and outlines of the eyes.


My finished piece (below left; front, below right;back). I took ideas from the collages I made previously (e.g the nose/eyebrows are like a plant) and then did some super-imposed blind and line drawings for the lips, using all the techniques I have learnt recently. I am not completely happy with the finished piece but I enjoyed the creating and development process, which I think is more important at this stage of the course.




No comments:

Post a Comment