Wednesday 6 November 2013

Textiles/Surfaces - 2D Design

Dawn Dupree

Turbulence 

Dawn Dupree is a contemporary textile artist and uses print, hand drawn image, mark making and photography in her work, layering them onto fabric creating a much more built up image. The multi-layered surfaces in her work, usually, has quite a bold colour as a base or theme which is striking, but isn't excessive. As images on a computer screen, it's hard to believe they are textile pieces, rather than just collage/more illustrative pieces on paper. Hand-drawing and printing onto different fabrics (e.g cottons, nylons, linen etc) must create different effects and different marks and I think that it adds something quite exciting to Dupree's work, as it is a more unusual and is a completely different base to paper, which is what I am familiar with. 


Gary Hume

Gary Hume, ‘Water Painting’ 1999
Water Painting (on aluminium panel)

I was instantly intrigued by this piece by Gary Hume as it reminded my of the line drawings and super-imposed drawing we have been doing at college recently. I enjoy continuous line drawing and doing quick, super-imposed sketches so this piece caught my attention immediately. I then found out it was painted using household paint on aluminium, which was interesting as I had never thought of using metal as a base for drawings like this before and also the type of surface aluminium is, very different to other, more common surfaces. 

No comments:

Post a Comment